Thursday 24 May 2012

Australian Women Writers Fantasy/Miscellaneous Challenge - Round Up 2










I have read my second ten books for my fantasy/misc genre Aussie Women Writers Challenge (as distinct to the SF specific one) which means, it’s time to post a little about them. Genre-wise, this was another mixed bunch.

First, the list:

  1. Secret Ones by Nicole Murphy (review)
  2. Power Unbound by Nicole Murphy (review)
  3. Ember and Ash by Pamela Freeman (review)
  4. Mercy by Rebecca Lim (review)
  5. Shift by Em Bailey (review)
  6. Destiny of the Light by Louise Cousack (review)
  7. The Dark Divide by Jennifer Fallon (review)
  8. Winter Be My Shield by Jo Spurrier (review)
  9. Slights by Kaaron Warren (review)
  10. Suited by Jo Anderton
First there was paranormal romance in the form of Nicole Murphy’s first two Dream of Asarlai trilogy books. Fun reads and I look forward to getting my hands on the third book in a few weeks.

Then there was quite a bit of big fat fantasy (aka BFF; I don’t want to use more loaded terms like “high fantasy” or “traditional fantasy”): Ember and Ash by Pamela Anderson, which went on to win an Aurealis, Destiny of the Light by Louise Cusack, set mostly in a world with no animals, The Dark Divide by Jennier Fallon, which is a little bit different since parts of it are set at the turn of the real world millennium but then none of these fantasy books are generic, and Winter Be My Shield by Jo Spurrier, a debut fantasy from Voyager which will be out in about a week — watch for the review on the weekend but review spoiler: I loved it.

Then two YA books: Shift by Em Bailey (interview link) which is one of my favourite books of the year, and Mercy by Rebecca Lim, about an angel skipping through different people’s bodies. They were quite different to each other and both felt different to the many US-authored YA books I’ve read this year.

Slights by Kaaron Warren is the only horror book I’ve read this year or, now that I come to think about it, in a while. (Since The Intruders by Michael Marshall book, probably.) Anyway, it’s one that’s stuck with me quite strongly.

And finally, there’s Suited by Jo Anderton which isn’t out for about a month so no review yet. I could’ve lumped it in with the BFFs but it’s a little bit steampunky in it’s setting so it gets it’s own subgenre of fantasy. It’s the conclusion to Debris and well worth the wait.

So, what have you guys been reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.