Thursday 5 July 2012

New Booksies (12)



American Science Fiction





172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad





The Long Earth by Pratchett and Baxter





A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix





The Gene Thieves by Maria Quinn





Hindsight by AA Bell





Rogue Gadda by Nicole Murphy


From Netgalley I got American Science Fiction: Five Classic Novels 1956-58 which includes:

  • Robert Heinlein / Double Star
  • Alfred Bester / The Stars My Destination
  • James Blish / A Case of Conscience
  • Algis Budrys / Who?
  • Fritz Leiber / The Big Time
From Kmart, because cheap, I bought two YA SF books:
  • 172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstand (which was originally published in Norway. The original title is Darlah - 172 timar på månen which is almost the same as the English title just with Darlah, the name of the moon base, appended at the start. I’ve already reviewed it here.)
  • A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix because he is Australian and I haven’t got around to reading any of his books yet.
And then my order with Dymocks came in and I picked up three shiny books by Australian women and then also the new Pratchett/Baxter book because it was on sale.
  • The Gene Thieves by Maria Quinn (I haven’t heard many good things about it but it is Australian and science fiction, a rare beast, so I thought I’d give it a go)
  • Hindsight by AA Bell (the sequel to Diamond Eyes so I can have them both looking pretty on my shelf together)
  • Rogue Gadda by Nicole Murphy (the last book in the Dream of Asarlai trilogy, see my reviews for book 1 and book 2)
  • The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter (obviously, this is the one not by an Australian woman. Mainly I’m hoping the Pratchett element will overcome Baxer’s usual lack of characterisation. Or that it just reads like a Pratchett book with extra science in it)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.