The main news since my last status update post is that our submissions window for Defying Doomsday closed, and now Holly and I are busy reading slush. I had a lot of comic reviews queued up from my Marvel Unlimited month, but now that they've run out I suspect things will get a little bit quieter on the blog, review-wise. I have been slowly catching up on review books in between slush, though, so there's that.
What Have I Read?
- She-Hulk Vol 3 & 4 by Dan Slott
- The Blackmail Blend by Livia Day
- Fearless Defenders Vol 1 & 2 by Cullen Bunn
- Young Avengers Vol 2: Alternative Culture and Vol 3: Mic-Drop at the Edge of Time and Space by Kieron Gillen
- ODY-C Vol 1: Off to Far Ithicaa by Matt Fraction
- Gotham Academy Vol 1: Welcome to Gotham Academy by Becky Cloonan and Brenden Fletcher
- Ms Marvel (Carol Danvers) Vols 1 & 2 by Brian Reed
- Spider-Woman Origin by Brian Michael Bendis
- Runaways Vol 8: Dead End Kids by Joss Whedon
- Drachengott: Wind by KJ Taylor
- Mystic by G Willow Wilson
- Random One-shots and misc from Marvel Unlimited
- She-Hulk by Charles Soule
- Ms Marvel Vol 3: Crushed by G Willow Wilson
- Drachengott: Earth by KJ Taylor
- Crash by Sean Williams
- Trees Vol 1: In Shadow by Warren Ellis
Probably more different books than I really should be. Last night I started House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard which I'm really enjoying. I'm also a little way into Drachengott: Fire, the third in KJ Taylor's new series and keen to get back to the world, I just thought I needed a change of pace.
I'm also a reasonable way into Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, which is a more unusual case. I already read an early draft of this book because I helped the authors with some of the science. I'm now reading the ARC, partly to see how it turned out (very different with the proper layout instead of just art notes! ;-p ) and partly so that I know how things happened in the final version in preparation for checking the science in book 2. It's a good kind of book to pick up and put down.
First off, an order of comics I placed came through:
- Lumberjanes Vol 1 — review coming soooon
- She-Hulk Vols 1 & 2 — because the last two issues were missing on Marvel Unlimited and I wanted to see how it ended! Also my husband ran out of time to read in on MU and got to do so at his leisure. Also it was a good run.
- Ms Marvel Vol 3 — already reviewed because it's awesome.
- Drachengott: Fire by KJ Taylor — sequel to Wind and Earth.
- House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard — currently reading
- Empire Ascendant by Kameron Hurley — which, alas, has no cover yet and is the sequel to Mirror Empire
- In The Beginning There Was Us by Ingrid Jonach — author of When the World Was Flat (And We Were In Love)
- Baggage by Gillian Polack — an anthology